Roast Shoulder of Pork with Fennel Seeds
should I make it?
is a perfect dinner party
dish! You have about 10 minutes preparation work then you just leave
the pork to slowly cook for hours!
you have to do when your guests
arrive is take it out of the oven and slice it up!
How long will it take?
It needs a good 4 hours of slow
cooking but the result is so worth the wait.
What ingredients do I need?
You will need
(should feed about 6 hungry people):
- 1 shoulder of pork (boneless & tied,
- A handful of sage leaves
tablespoon of fennel seeds
6 whole cloves of garlic (no need to chop or peel)
star anise (optional)
glass of white wine
& Black Pepper
Can I use any alternatives if I
can find certain
If you don't like pork why
not try this similar dish with lamb.
preparation do I need to
do / what can I
do in advance?
are the main steps?
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and heat
olive oil in a pan large enough to hold the meat.
- On the stove, brown the meat in the pan to seal
it on all sides.
- Add sage, garlic, (star anise if using) and
fennel seeds to the pan
followed by the wine.
- Leave cooking for a couple of minutes then
remove from stove, place foil
around the pan to seal.
- Transfer to the oven leaving meat skin side up
and cook for an hour at
- After first hour, turn temparature down to 140
degrees and cook for a further 2 hours.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle some sea salt on
the skin then leave to cook for another
hour to dry out and crisp up the skin.
- Remove from oven, leave to rest.
- You will find juices have formed in the pan
which can be strained and used as a very tasty sauce.
How should I serve it?
Serve sliced with roast
potatoes and / or your choice of vegetable. You will
find the meat melts in your mouth and the skin is crispy in contrast.
Are there any variations to
this recipe that I could
not also try the recipe for lamb shoulder, just click here.
Like this recipe? Why not share
it with friends on Facebook?
Simply click on the button below: